About our Library
In 1916, Mr. Sylvester Moore and his wife Anne, felt that Brownsburg should have its own public library. Mr. Moore was superintendent of the Brownsburg schools. A committee consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Moore and Mr. and Mrs. William Evans visited the Coatesville Library to learn how Brownsburg might secure a public library. Mr. Sanborn, secretary of the Library Commission, helped them formulate their plans.
A number of taxpayers subscribed funds to start the project. The Carnegie Corporation provided a $12,500 gift, and money was borrowed from the local bank.
The cornerstone was laid September 18, 1917. School was dismissed for the occasion. A year later the new library opened with 400 books. Ottie Roberts was the librarian until 1944.
For more information and to view some original documents relating to the roots of the library, check out our Brownsburg: Then and Now image collection.